Sunday, January 2, 2011

And a Happy New Year!

Hello there! It's me again, your favorite missionary serving in the Taizhong mission. I hope. It's a new year, with new goals, new plans, a new area, a new companion. Yep, today was move call day. On Saturday we got a call from our district leader telling me that I would be moving to Tainan City and I would be the senior companion. I'm kind of feeling a little overwhelmed--I myself haven't been out here THAT long, and now I'm a senior. My new companion's name is Elder Turk, and he's on his second move call (aka been here for six weeks). He seems like a really good missionary, so it's not like it's all on my shoulders. All the same, I was really surprised and a little nervous. But guess who my zone leader is? Yep--Elder Bickmore. I'm in his district, even. So that should be kind of fun.

As for Chinese New Year, it's not until the beginning of February, and even though I haven't experienced one, I've heard what it's like. It's basically a five-day celebration where people don't go to work and instead have parades and parties and get drunk and worship idols. You know. From what I hear, it's a huge deal.

Well, I'm not sure there's much more to say...I'm still a little in shock I think.

We've been continuing to work with (name), and he's actually progressing really well. When we first started to meet with him he didn't seem really interested and he would forget basically everything we taught him by the next visit. Now he's remembering lots of things and he's got a clear idea for why he wants to be baptized. "Well, of course we need baptism! We all make mistakes, and baptism helps us wash those away and start doing things for Heavenly Father." He's really a great person. I'm sad I won't get to be there for his baptism, but I'm satisfied with knowing that I did what I could to help him on the path back to his Father in Heaven.

Sorry, this is going to be a short letter this week. More to come next week.

I love you all so much! I'll talk to you next week after my first week of serving in Tainan.

Love,
Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment