Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween

Which is a holiday they don't celebrate in Taiwan, but I hear you folks in America think it's big business. Just kidding. Well, here I am again at the start of yet another week. This week went by so darn fast, I almost can't believe it.

So, first off, I have some beautiful and exciting news: we have a Costco in our area here!!! It's a huge deal, I don't think you even know. It's famous all throughout Tainan, and people come from all over to shop there. As for me, I enjoyed a week of Costco muffin breakfasts, a gigantic carton of milk, and a ton of spaghetti for Sunday dinners. Not even to mention free samples and giant slices of Hawaiian pizza. It's funny; when you write about shopping at Costco, you use all the really big, heavy words in your vocabulary.

Anyway, on a little more serious note, being a zone leader is really hard. I knew it would be, but it's a lot of stress to have to think about not only our own area but also everyone in the zone. I'm constantly agonizing over members of our zone who it seems are not obedient to the rules, or who are trying hard but still have low numbers. I feel like I don't naturally have the characteristics of an effective leader, and I have to learn how to acquire those. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, because I'm not; I love this chance to serve, it's just that I guess I didn't realize before that it's hard work to lead a zone. I really desire my zone members to have success and it's my responsibility to help them do so.

This week I went over to GueiRen and did companion exchanges with one of our district leaders, who's also training. It was fun, and I learned a lot from this Elder. I also learned a bit more on how to lead. I suppose the Lord doesn't always call those who are already qualified to serve in a position, but often calls those who need more practice and training. I think that's the case with me.

This area has some really great investigators, though. The members are also great. This morning we went and did some service for a member named Brother (name) (no, he's not Taiwanese) and moved furniture for him. Yesterday we went to a barbecue with the (name) family--the husband's Filipino and the wife's Taiwanese--where we met several of Brother (name) Filipino friends and gave them copies of "Ang Aklat ni Mormon." Several of them have great potential, I think. Most of them are here working for three years, in which time they won't get to see their wives and children. That would be really tough. So we'll see if we can bring them the light of the gospel.

Elder Braby's a great Elder. He's very good at working with members--getting to know them, building relations with them, but not wasting the Lord's time doing so. He's also incredibly good at doing impressions of people, mostly other missionaries. It's pretty funny when he does his Elder Cocke. I also can't remember if I told you or not, but Elder Perry is in my zone. He's on his last move call now.

Well, I think that's about all I have to say this week. Tomorrow we will be attending a mission tour by Elder Gerritt Gong of the Seventy. That should be really good. I expect to learn a lot. I sure love you all, and I look forward to talking to you again next week. Till then,

Love you,
Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment