Monday, October 17, 2011

The Weekly Report

Hello everybody! It's me again. Can you believe it's Monday AGAIN? Can you believe it's the last week of the move call AGAIN?

Well, it's the last week of the move call. I hate to say it, but I think it's my last one in Tanzi. I don't want to leave. But after such a long time in one area, it's pretty likely. I don't want to dwell on that, so I'm going to move on.
We've seen a lot of success this week by working with the Bishop. We asked him what he'd like us to do to strengthen the ward and he gave us a list of many 12-25 year old less-active young men who either need to advance in the priesthood or prepare to serve a mission. We've met with many of those people already, one of them came to sacrament meeting yesterday, and we've found two new investigators already. The mother and younger brother of one of the less active members are really desirous to learn more about the gospel, especially because the father of the family passed away only a few days before we went by to visit. The timing could only have been set up by God himself. We gave her a Plan of Salvation pamphlet and she read the whole thing by our next visit. At that time she said she wants to completely get rid of all the idols in their house and start to believe in Jesus Christ. I could hardly believe my ears. Usually people are telling me that their ancestors have passed down these traditions for hundreds of years and they can't change now. I wish I could tell them that my ancestors had a tradition of showering once a year and using outhouses, but that doesn't mean I need to follow their tradition. But I don't think they'd take that the right way, so I don't say it. Anyway, she seems really great, and she really desires to follow Jesus Christ.

This week we've actually been really struggling to help our investigators progress. Those we have don't seem willing to be baptized anytime soon. We've really seen a lot of blessings this week in finding new investigators, but we're struggling to find people who will really progress. But then I received a tender mercy during Sunday's personal study. Feeling just a little down after having nobody at church, I read Alma 8. I didn't especially plan it; it was just the next chapter in my daily reading. But it was full of words of comfort and counsel from a loving Father to me. I read that when I am feeling "weighed down with sorrow," I must remember that I have "great cause to rejoice." The Lord is mindful of me and loves me completely. He counseled me to try "another way" (verse 18). So even though I am often disappointed by my mistakes, I can have a fullness of joy in knowing that I'm doing what the Lord wants me to do. The angel told Alma to lift up his head and rejoice, because he had been faithful in keeping the commandments of God. That message filled me with hope, and I too know that my Father loves me and is pleased with me even when things are a little rough.

Well, I'd better wrap up for the week. Who knows what surprises and wonders await us in the next week? We'll find out.

Love you all so much!!
Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment