Sunday, August 28, 2011

Dear Family

We've been seeing some real miracles this week. We have some really great investigators. One of them is Brother (name), who currently has a week C goal. He's just been a really incredible investigator from the start, and he already feels strongly that Joseph Smith is a prophet "Because of this book," he says, holding the Book of Mormon. He likes to share parts with us that have real meaning to him. He's already quit his dependence on coffee and in his prayer he thanked God for helping him be free of that which was controlling him. We've also been meeting with a man named Brother R. The amazing thing about him is that in our first meeting, we sat down and he immediately told us he had a problem with drugs and he wanted Jesus' help to overcome his addiction. It just blew me away that he was willing to trust two foreigners he'd never met before with such knowledge. I know it was the Spirit testifying to him that we are servants of God and the message we bring is the one he needs to be free from addiction.

This week we experienced a heart-wrenching disappointment, though. (name) told us he didn't want to get baptized because he's been meeting with Jehovah's Witnesses and they won't let him go to their church if he's baptized. We tried everything I could think of, we met with him several times, we warned him of the consequences of postponing baptism, but he didn't listen to anything we said. It was terribly disappointing because I really love him and I desire his salvation, but we had to come to grips with the fact that he has his agency. We'll continue to try and win him back.

The best news from this week, though, is the baptism of (name). I was so pleased to see him enter into this covenant with his Heavenly Father. The best part for me was his testimony after his baptism. He really does get what baptism is, and he felt the forgiveness of his Father in Heaven. He also said he and his girlfriend already got married, so I suppose this week's baptism counted as completing a part-member family! I'm so excited for them, and I hope things work out so that a year from now I can see them sealed together in the temple. I can tell he's going to be a great member. There really is nothing quite like having a baptism. It makes all the hard work for the last few weeks or months, all the rejections and disappointments, worth it. They're going to raise a righteous posterity in the gospel.

Well, that's about all. We've got a massive typhoon coming at us this week. In fact, it may be upon us even as I write these words. We'll be fine; we've got the prayers of the whole church behind us. Anyway, I love you all so much! I'll talk to you again next week. Until then, keep being awesome and faithful. I love you all so much!

Love,
Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment